The surroundings: the wide open space of Friesland
Space, silence and nature
There is so much to explore in the area close by while you indulge every moment of the space and peacefulness of Friesland. While having pleasure hiring a sloop boat you will also experience the beautiful countryside from a different angle, away from the road.
Or explore Friesland by bike using the many designated cycling paths. The villages, the easy going friendliness, the entourage, the tourist office, it’s all there. Enough daytrips to choose from, even the kids will have plenty of fun:
- Joure (5 minutes away) has a subtropical swimming pool, a miniature golf course, bowling alleys and tennis courts.
- The well known 18 holes golf course in St Nicolaasga (St Nyk)
- In Terherne is the Kameleon Theme Village. Take part in the adventures.
- The Snekermeer lake is nearby. There is a sloop boat rental in Broek within 10 minutes of cycling distance. Or hiring a sailing boat is also an option.
- Museums, restaurants, cosy terraces and cafés, there are many to choose from in the vicinity..
The Greidpleats is just fives minutes cycling from Joure, a snug Frisian village town with a modern marina and has one of the longest shopping streets of The Netherlands. Cosy terraces to enjoy your drinks, shops that make you feel more than welcome. And one of the few places where there is free parking! Visit the Museum, or Douwe Egberts shop, the founder of the coffee company in Joure. The renovated windmill Penniga’s Molen from 1692 is a must to see, open every Saturday morning till noon. And in addition, Joure is a town where many events are organised all year round.
The Frisian Landscape
From your holiday home it becomes quite clear: the wide open space of Friesland. Horizons only interrupted by trees and cows, with the most beautiful clouds. It is obvious why the Frisian people are so proud of their country. Explore it all by bicycle or from the lakes. Or perhaps from the frozen lakes during a severe Winter (no guarantee).